Round trip from the Moselle to the Hunsrück. Almost 30 km, almost exclusively on traffic-free cycle paths, forest and field paths.
Distance 28.7 km
This round trip starts at the Moselle. Cyclists can start in Bernkastel-Kues, the Graacher Schäferei, Mülheim or Veldenz.Insights into the cycle tour:From Bernkastel, the tour leads - past famous vineyards such as the "Bernkasteler Doctor" - away from the Moselle, via the Graach sheep farm, into the deep forests of Hunsrück, including a first-class Moselle panorama. In the Hunsrück, the towns of Longkamp and Monzelfeld are among the stage towns. From Longkamp, the progress of the bridge construction project "Hochmoselübergang" can be observed very well. Veldenz lies in one of the most beautiful side valleys of the entire Moselle and is - after the smaller town of Thalveldenz - the next destination on the tour. Mülheim an der Mosel, home of the famous Zeppelin wine, follows. Down the Moselle - shortly before Bernkastel-Kues - the "golden" Andel awaits cyclists. In the past, one or the other piece of gold was found here. The gold digger well in the middle of the village is a reminder of this today.
Refreshment stops are available in all towns along the route. The Veldenz Castle and the Villa Romana in Veldenz are particularly worth seeing.
Update: September 29, 2021
Rest StopEiserne Weinkarte
Safety informationPlease note that the tour is not signposted. In the Graacher Schäferei there is a short stretch of about 30 metres on which the bike should be pushed due to the steepness and the narrow path. In the Hinterbachtal valley it can be a bit slushy on the unpaved sections of the path during the cold season and after long periods of rain.
Tips and hints
Wein- und Ferienregion Bernkastel-Kues GmbH
Phone: (0049) 6531/50019-0
Getting thereJourney to Bernkastel
ParkingParking is available in the villages along the route.e.g. Bernkastel-Kues: car park on both banks of the MoselleGraacher Schäferei: Hiking car park "Iron wine listMülheim: Town centreVeldenz: Leave the town (direction Thalveldenz)
32U 361773 5531151
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
EquipmentThe tour should be easy to manage with an eBike (full battery) despite the considerable ascent from the Moselle valley up. For sporty cyclists a trekking bike or mountain bike is a good option.
Basic Equipment for Bike Riding
- Cycling helmet
- Cycling gloves
- Sturdy, comfortable and preferably waterproof footwear
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
Technical Equipment for Bike Riding
- Air pump or CO2 pump including cartridges
- Puncture repair kit
- Replacement inner tube
- Tire levers
- Chain tool
- Hex keys
- Phone / device holder as required
- Bike lock as required
- Where applicable, the bike must meet requirements for road use by having a bell, front and rear lamps and spoke reflectors
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view