The famous Doctorweinberg: "Here an electoral prince was made healthy by wine." If this statement could be scientifically proven, the 3.25 hectare vineyard "Bernkasteler Doctor" would be priceless. Because the wine from this vineyard is preceded by the reputation of having cured Elector Boemund in 1360, who at that time lay ill in Landshut Castle and apparently could not be helped. Since then the wine from this vineyard is called so. It is certain, however, that Privy Councillor Julius Wegeler, co-owner of the Deinhard sparkling wine cellars, purchased a plot of land in 1900 at a price of 100 Goldmarks per vine. Since then, the Doctor has been considered the most expensive vineyard in Germany.
Insights into the city walk:
The path leads above the famous Doctor vineyard and past its cellars. It goes up to the St.Joseph's Chapel and the vineyard cottage in the middle of the vineyards from where you can enjoy a wonderful view over Bernkastel. Afterwards it goes on into the city forest and the Kallenfelstal.
Getting thereJourney to Bernkastel-Kues
ParkingParking is available on the large Moselle car park on the Bernkasteler and Kueser side, directly on the Moselle. During the winter months parking here is free of charge, from April 1st to December 31st parking is charged. Gestade 18, 54470 Bernkastel-Kues
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
EquipmentSturdy shoes are recommended
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.